FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE –
September 12, 2017
Washington Capitals to Host NHL Centennial Fan Arena Sept. 22-23
– The NHL® Centennial Fan Arena will visit Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C., Friday, Sept. 22, through Saturday, Sept. 23.
The NHL® Centennial Fan Arena is a touring tribute to a century of hockey’s history, visiting all NHL markets in 2017. The interactive fan experience honors players, teams and moments through an innovative museum, original video content and a first-of-its-kind virtual reality game.
Free of charge, the NHL® Centennial Fan Arena will be open to fans of all ages and located on F Street.
The NHL® Centennial Fan Arena will be open exclusively to season ticket holders from 2:30-4 p.m. and to the public from 4-6 p.m. on Sept. 22. Select players will be available for autographs from 5-6 p.m.
In addition from 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. the Capitals will host pre-selected DC Public Schools students in a street hockey tournament followed by a street hockey tournament with American Special Hockey Association participants.
The arena will be open exclusively to season ticket holders from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and to the public from 2-6 p.m. on Sept. 23.
Features of the attraction include:
– The main attraction is a 53-foot museum truck with an innovative interior featuring more than 1,000 square feet of interactive digital displays, original video content, one-of-a-kind historical memorabilia, unique photo moments and a social media wall. Customized to each market, the Museum Truck will showcase the history of the NHL and Washington Capitals.
– A second 53-foot trailer with a giant video screen will feature team highlights and all-access programming, as well as a pop-out stage for special appearances.
Clear the Ice Zamboni
– This never-before-seen VR experience allows fans to compete against each other in a race to resurface the ice. Fans will take a seat in a mini Zamboni® ice resurfacer and feel their seat rumble before being tasked with creating the perfect sheet of ice.
Recycle the Game
– A special net will be on-site for fans to donate gently used hockey equipment. The equipment will be up-cycled back into the community, continuing the League-wide commitment to improve hockey’s environmental footprint while supporting youth hockey.
® – The oldest and most revered trophy in all professional sports will make a special appearance in every NHL market.
In addition, as part of Hockey Is For Everyone™, the League is making a $5,000 grant in all 31 NHL markets at the NHL Centennial Fan Arena. In partnership with the Club, this grant will be invested into the community toward youth hockey organizations that celebrate diversity. In Washington, the funding will benefit the American Special Hockey Association.
Fans planning to attend can RSVP at NHL.com/FanArena. The RSVP program provides event reminder notifications including updates on dates, times, locations, events, special appearances and more.
The Capitals face the St. Louis Blues on Sept. 22 at 7 p.m. and the Carolina Hurricanes on Sept. 23 at 7 p.m. Tickets for each game are available for purchase at
The NHL’s Centennial celebration, honoring 100 years of NHL hockey, officially commenced on January 1, 2017 with the Scotiabank NHL Centennial Classic™ outdoor game. Throughout the year, the Centennial celebration will include a variety of important content initiatives, ceremonies, recognitions, observances and special events. For more information, visit NHL.com/100, the central hub of all NHL Centennial news, content, videos, images, and NHL Centennial Fan Arena and NHL Centennial events.
For broll and coverage opportunities, please contact Megan Eichenberg in the Capitals media relations department.