Washington Capitals vs. Edmonton Oilers
Postgame Notes and Audio
Capital One Arena | November 12, 2017
| Edmonton Oilers
| Washington Capitals
· The Capitals will have a day off on Monday. Washington will hold a morning skate on Tuesday at Bridgestone Arena at 11:30 a.m. with media availability to follow.
· Braden Holtby made 29 saves on 30 shots (.967 save percentage) to win his sixth-straight game and his 10 th win of the season (10-3-0). Holtby improved to 7-2-1 all-time against the Oilers.
· Dmitry Orlov scored his first goal of the season. Orlov led the team with four shots on goal, marking the second time this season he has led the team in shots (Nov. 2 vs. NYI, co-led with Lars Eller, three shots).
· Tom Wilson recorded an assist on Orlov’s goal. That marked Wilson’s 50 th career NHL/Capitals assist.
· John Carlson led the team with 29:17 of ice time, the third-most ice time Carlson has skated this season. Carlson has led the team in ice time in 15 of the 17 games this season. Coming into tonight’s game, Carlson averaged 27:13 minutes per game, the highest average in the NHL this season and 4:29 minutes more per game than his average last season.
· T.J. Oshie scored the game-winning shootout goal. That marked Oshie’s 40 th career shootout goal. Since joining the NHL in the 2008-09 season, Oshie has converted 40 of his 73 shootout attempts (54.8 percent), ranking first among players with 20 shootout attempts since the 2008-09 season.
· Madison Bowey recorded an assist and a career-high 16:51 of ice time.
· Nicklas Backstrom won 10 of his 12 face-offs (83 percent), the ninth time this season he has led the team in face-off wins in a game.
· Brooks Orpik led the team with four blocked shots in 23:57 of ice time.
· The Capitals improved to 7-2-1 over the last 10 meetings against the Oilers.
· The Capitals won in the shootout for the second time this season (Oct. 5 at OTT, 5-4 win). The Capitals are 2-0 in shootouts this season.
· With Orlov’s goal and Bowey’s assist, Capitals defensemen have recorded 16 points over the last eight games (Carlson: 1g, 5a; Bowey: 5a; Orlov: 1g, 1a ; Orpik: 2a; Taylor Chorney, 1g).
· Tonight’s attendance was 18,506, the Capitals 371 th consecutive sellout at Capital One Arena.
Capitals Postgame Audio
Capitals head coach Barry Trotz
Edmonton Oilers Postgame Audio
Oilers head coach Todd McLellan