Washington Capitals vs. San Jose Sharks
Postgame Notes and Audio
Capital One Arena | December 4, 2017
| San Jose Sharks
| Washington Capitals
· The Capitals will hold a practice at Kettler Capitals Iceplex at 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday.
· Alex Ovechkin recorded his NHL-leading 20th goal of the season in the second period. With that goal, Ovechkin passed Mark Recchi (577) for 20th place on the all-time goals list. Ovechkin recorded his 578th goal of his career in his 949th career game. Recchi recorded his 577th goal in his 1,649th game. Ovechkin now trails Jarri Kurri (601), who is 19th in NHL history on the all-time goals list.
· Ovechkin became the first player this season to reach the 20-goal mark in his 28th game of the season. Ovechkin scored his 20th goal last season on Jan. 11, 41 games into the season. Additionally, Ovechkin recorded a primary assist and co-led the team with four shots (Jakub Vrana: 4).
· Philipp Grubauer stopped 24 of the 25 shots he faced. Over his last two starts, Grubauer is 2-0-0 and has stopped 49 of the last 51 shots he’s faced (.961 save percentage)
· Devante Smith-Pelly opened the scoring for the Capitals with his fourth goal of the year. That matches his 2016-17 season total with the New Jersey Devils. This season, the Capitals are 4-0-0 when Smith-Pelly records a goal.
· Brett Connolly recorded his fourth goal and sixth point of the season on a power play. That marked Connolly’s first power play goal of the season. Connolly became the sixth different Capital to record a power play goal this season.
· Vrana recorded his eighth goal of the season on the power play. That made Vrana the seventh-different Capital to record a power-play goal this season. Vrana’s eight goals rank fourth on the Capitals and his 12 points rank seventh. Additionally, Vrana co-led the team with four shots (Ovechkin: 4).
· Travis Boyd made his NHL debut, skating 9:10. Boyd has recorded 20 points (3g, 17a) in 23 games with the Hershey Bears this season.
· John Carlson recorded an assist on Smith-Pelly’s goal. Carlson has 10 assists in his last 11 games. Additionally, Carlson co-led the Capitals in blocked shots with three (Brooks Orpik: 3).
· Orpik led the team with three hits, the third game in a row Orpik has led the team in hits. Additionally, Orpik co-led the Capitals with three blocked shots (Carlson: 3).
· Evgeny Kuznetsov recorded an assist and led the team with 11 face-off wins on 15 draws (73 percent). That’s the fifth time this season Kuznetsov has led the team in face-off wins.
· Jay Beagle, Tom Wilson and Dmitry Orlov each recorded an assist.
· Ovechkin led Capitals in shot attempt percentage (15 shot attempts for, 6 against, 71.43 shot attempts percentage). Christian Djoos led Capitals’ defensemen in shot attempts percentage at five-on-five (12 shot attempts for, 7 against, 63.16 shot attempts percentage).
· Tonight marked the Capitals first win at home against the San Jose Sharks since Oct. 15, 2009 (4-1).
· Washington has earned a point in six of their last seven games at Capital One Arena (5-1-1).
· Washington improved to 10-0-1 when they lead after the first period and 11-0-1 when they lead after the second period.
· Washington improved to 11-0-0 in games where they score at least four goals. Tonight marked the second-straight game the Capitals have recorded four goals.
· Tonight’s attendance was 18,506, the Capitals 378th consecutive sellout at Capital One Arena.
Capitals Postgame Audio
Capitals head coach Barry Trotz
San Jose Sharks Postgame Audio
Sharks head coach Peter DeBoer