Washington Capitals vs. Boston Bruins
Postgame Notes and Audio
Capital One Arena | December 28, 2017
| Boston Bruins
| Washington Capitals
Game Summary | Event Summary | @CapitalsPR | CapsToday.com
· The Capitals will have a day off on Friday. Washington will resume with a morning skate at 10 a.m. at Kettler Capitals Iceplex on Saturday with media availability to follow prior to hosting the New Jersey Devils.
· Braden Holtby stopped 31 of the 34 shots he faced, including 12 of 13 in the third period and overtime. Holtby improved to 10-0-0 against the Bruins in his last 10 starts, with a 1.68 goals against average and a .946 save percentage.
· Caps head coach Barry Trotz tied Lindy Ruff for the fifth most wins in NHL history (735).
· Lars Eller opened the scoring for the Capitals with his fifth goal of the season to snap a 16-game goalless drought. Additionally, Eller recorded an assist on Brett Connolly’s goal, giving Eller his fourth multi-point game of the season, the sixth-highest total on the Capitals this season.
· Alex Ovechkin tied the game in the second period with a power play goal, his seventh power play goal of the season, which is tied for the team lead (T.J. Oshie). That was Ovechkin’s 219 th -career power play goal, which is the 10 th -most all-time. Ovechkin sits 14 power play goals shy of passing Dino Ciccarelli (232) for ninth place on the NHL’s all-time list. Ovechkin has 24 goals this season, tied for the NHL lead.
· Tom Wilson recorded an assist on Lars Eller’s goal, his 12 th assist of the season, tying his 2016-17 total. Additionally, Wilson led the team with seven hits and shot attempts percentage at five-on-five (11 shot attempts for, 7 against, 61.11 percent).
· John Carlson recorded an assist on Ovechkin’s goal. That marked Carlson’s 25 th assist of the season, which is second most among NHL defensemen. Over the course of an 82-game season, Carlson is on pace for 60 points, which would make Carlson the eighth defenseman in franchise history to record 60 points in a season and the first since Mike Green in 2009-10 (76 points, 19g, 57a). Additionally, Carlson led the team in time on ice (28:51), the 31 st time this season Carlson has led the team in ice time.
· Evgeny Kuznetsov recorded an assist on Ovechkin’s goal. Tonight marked Kuznetsov’s 300 th career game. Kuznetsov became the 63 rd player in franchise history to play in 300 Capitals games. Additionally, he became the 21 st player selected in 2010 to reach the 300-game mark and his 0.74 points per game is the fourth-highest average among players selected in 2010.
· Brett Connolly tied the game 11:22 minutes into the third period. That was the second game-tying goal Connolly has scored this season within the last 10 minutes of the game.
· Madison Bowey recorded an assist on Brett Connolly’s goal, his eighth assist of the season.
· The Capitals have won 12-straight games against the Bruins, the longest active winning streak of any team in the NHL.
· With the win, Washington improved to 23-13-3 on the season and are tied for first place in the Metropolitan Division.
· The Capitals have won a season-high seven-straight home games.
· The Capitals improved to 11-2-0 at Capital One Arena in their last 13 home games and 15-5-0 at home this season.
· The Caps improved to 6-1-1 on the year when they score at least three goals.
· Tonight’s attendance was 18,506, the Capitals 383 rd consecutive sellout at Capital One Arena.
Capitals Postgame Audio
Capitals head coach Barry Trotz
Boston Bruins Postgame Audio
Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy