Washington Capitals vs. Vegas Golden Knights
Postgame Notes and Audio
Capital One Arena | February 4, 2018
| Vegas Golden Knights
| Washington Capitals
· The Capitals will have a day off tomorrow. The Capitals will resume on Tuesday with an 11:30 a.m. morning skate at Nationwide Arena before facing the Columbus Blue Jackets
· Chandler Stephenson scored the game’s opening goal, his third goal in his last three games. That marked the first time in his career that Stephenson scored the game’s first goal.
· Matt Niskanen scored in the second period, his fourth of the season. Niskanen is one goal shy of his 2016-17 total in 41 fewer games. Niskanen also recorded an assist.
· Nicklas Backstrom scored the Capitals’ third goal of the game. That marked Backstrom's 11th goal of the season. He's one goal shy of 200 career goals. Backstrom tied Evgeny Kuznetsov for the most face-off wins in the game (six).
· Evgeny Kuznetsov recorded a primary assist on Niskanen’s goal, his fifth assist in his last four games. That marked the fourth-consecutive game Kuznetsov recorded an assist, tying Nicklas Backstrom and John Carlson for the longest assist streaks of the season (Backstrom has two four-game assist streaks). His 35 assist this season lead the Capitals. Additionally, Kuznetsov tied Backstrom for the most face-off wins in the game (six).
· Christian Djoos recorded an assist, his third-straight game with an assist.
· Dmitry Orlov recorded an assist and now has three points in his last two games (1g, 2a).
· Jay Beagle recorded an assist and four hits.
· Philipp Grubauer stopped 27 of the 31 shots.
· Tom Wilson led the team with five hits. That’s the seventh time this season Wilson has single-handedly led the team in hits.
· The Capitals dropped to 11-3-1 in their last 15 games at Capital One Arena. Washington is tied with the Vegas Golden Knights and the Winnipeg Jets for the most home wins in the NHL (19).
· The Capitals have scored a goal in eight-straight periods of hockey.
· The Capitals dropped to 16-6-4 in their last 26 games overall.
· Tonight’s attendance was 18,506, the Capitals 392 nd consecutive sellout at Capital One Arena.
Capitals Postgame Audio
Capitals head coach Barry Trotz
Vegas Golden Knights Postgame Audio
Golden Knights head coach Gerard Gallant