Washington Capitals vs. Detroit Red Wings
Postgame Notes and Audio
Capital One Arena | February 11, 2018
| Detroit Red Wings
| Washington Capitals
· The Capitals will have a day off tomorrow. Washington will resume with a morning skate on Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. at Bell MTS Place prior to playing the Winnipeg Jets at 8 p.m. ET.
· Alex Ovechkin scored his NHL-leading 33 rd goal of the season on the power play. He is now nine goals shy of 600 career goals. Ovechkin also added an assist in the game.
· Evgeny Kuznetsov also recorded an assist on Ovechkin’s goal, his eighth assist in his last seven games. That marked the seventh-consecutive game Kuznetsov recorded an assist, the longest streak by a Capital this season. That also marked his seventh-straight game with a point, also the longest streak of the season (2g, 8a). Kuznetsov’s 38 assists this season lead the Capitals.
· Brett Connolly scored his 14 th goal of the season, one shy of his career high set last year with the Capitals. Connolly has scored in the third period seven times this season, the third most by a Capital.
· Dmitry Orlov scored his eighth goal of the season, tying his single-season high set in the 2015-16 season in 28-fewer games.
· Nicklas Backstrom tied the game with 17 seconds remaining in the game, marking his 10 th point scored in the final 10 minutes of the game this season. Backstrom also led the team with 12 face-off wins.
· John Carlson recorded two assists, his ninth multi-point game of the season. Carlson’s 44 points (9g, 33a) rank third among NHL defensemen. Carlson also led the team with 24:02 of ice time.
· Jay Beagle recorded two assists, his second multi-point game this season.
· Devante Smith-Pelly recorded an assist on Beagle’s goal, his ninth of the season. Smith-Pelly is now four assists shy of setting a new career high. Smith-Pelly also led the team with five hits.
· T.J. Oshie recorded four shots, which led the team.
· The Capitals dropped to 20-8-2 at Capital One Arena this season. Washington remains tied with the Winnipeg Jets, the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Dallas Stars for the most home wins in the NHL (20).
· The Caps went 2-for-3 on the power play and have scored 11 power play goals in their last 11 games.
· The Capitals have earned a point in five-straight home games against the Red Wings.
· The Capitals have scored a goal in 15 of their last 17 periods.
· Tonight’s attendance was 18,506, the Capitals 394 th consecutive sellout at Capital One Arena.
Capitals Postgame Audio
Capitals head coach Barry Trotz
Detroit Red Wings Postgame Audio
Red Wings head coach Jeff Blashill