Washington Capitals vs. Winnipeg Jets
Postgame Notes and Audio
Capital One Arena | March 12, 2018
| Winnipeg Jets
| Washington Capitals
· The Capitals will hold an optional skate tomorrow at 11 a.m. at Kettler Capitals Iceplex.
· Alex Ovechkin scored the game’s opening goal and would later add a second, marking his 600 th career goal. Ovechkin scored his 600th career goal in his 990th NHL game, trailing Wayne Gretzky (718 games), Mario Lemieux (719) and Brett Hull (900) as the fastest to reach the 600-goal plateau.
· Ovechkin ranks first in franchise history in goals (600), points (1,109), power-play goals (225), game-winning goals (100), overtime goals (22), shots (4,836) and multi-goal games (119).
· Ovechkin leads the NHL in goals (600), points (1,109), power-play goals (225), power-play points (431) and game-winning goals (100) since entering the League in 2005-06. In addition, Ovechkin leads the NHL in goals since 1998-99 despite beginning his NHL career in 2005. He is the only player in the NHL to score 30 or more goals in each season since 2005-06 and his average of 0.61 goals per game is fifth in NHL history (minimum: 300 games played), trailing only Bossy (0.76), Cy Denneny (0.75), Lemieux (0.75) and Pavel Bure (0.62).
· Ovechkin now has 42 goals on the year, which leads the NHL.
· Evgeny Kuznetsov scored the game-winning goal in overtime, his first overtime goal of the season and the fourth of his career. Additionally, Kuznetsov recorded an assist on Ovechkin’s second goal. That’s the 45 th assist for Kuznetsov this season, which leads the team.
· Philipp Grubauer stopped 26 of the 28 shots (.929 save percentage), including all three shots he faced on the penalty kill, to improve to 10-8-3 on the season.
· John Carlson recorded an assist on Ovechkin’s first goal. That marked Carlson’s 43 rd assist and 55 th point of the season. That ties Carlson’s previous single-season high point total (2014-15: 12g, 43a).
· Nicklas Backstrom recorded an assist on Ovechkin’s first goal, his 34 th of the season. Backstrom’s 574 assists since the 2007-08 season rank third in the NHL during that span and he’s just one assist shy of tying Scott Gomez for 98 th all-time.
· Tom Wilson recorded an assist on Ovechkin’s second goal. That marked Wilson’s 19 th assist of the season, a single-season high, and his 30 th point of the year, the first time he has reached the 30-point mark in a season.
· Chandler Stephenson recorded an assist on Kuznetsov’s goal. That’s the second game-winning assist for Stephenson this season.
· Jay Beagle won a team-high 13 of his 17 face-offs (76 percent).
· Devante Smith-Pelly led the team with six hits.
· Lars Eller led the team with five blocked shots.
· With the win, the Capitals improved to 39-23-7, good for 85 points and first place in the Metropolitan Division.
· The Capitals improved to 24-9-2 at home this season.
· Washington’s 24 home wins are tied for the fourth most in the NHL.
· The Capitals improved to 49-26-5-9 all-time against the Jets.
· Washington outshot Winnipeg 43 to 28. That’s the most shots on goal they’ve recorded in their last 20 games, their fourth time in their last five games they’ve outshot their opponent and the fifth-straight game they’ve held their opponent to under 30 shots.
· Tonight’s attendance was 18,506, the Capitals 398 th consecutive sellout at Capital One Arena.
Capitals Postgame Audio
Capitals head coach Barry Trotz
Winnipeg Jets Postgame Audio
Jets head coach Paul Maurice