Washington Capitals vs. New Jersey Devils
Postgame Notes and Audio
Capital One Arena | April 7, 2018
| New Jersey Devils
| Washington Capitals
· The Capitals have a scheduled day off tomorrow. Media will be advised of the Capitals’ upcoming schedule once the NHL playoff picture is finalized.
· Alex Ovechkin scored two goals tonight, giving him 49 on the season, which leads the NHL.
· Ovechkin, 32, is aiming to become the second player since the 1967-68 expansion era to lead the NHL in goals at the age of 32 or older (Phil Esposito led the NHL twice in goals just before his 33rd and 34th birthday). It would also mark his seventh Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy. No other player has won more than two.
· Ovechkin led the team with eight shots, 18 shot attempts and is also on a three-game goal streak.
· Ovechkin’s second goal marked his 102 nd career game-winning goal, passing Jarome Iginla (101) for sole possession of eighth place on the NHL’s all-time list.
· Nicklas Backstrom recorded a goal and an assist and has 14 points (2g, 12a) in his last eight games. Backstrom is now one point shy of 800 career points (209g, 590a).
· Michal Kempny scored a goal, his second goal since joining the Capitals, and recorded an assist.
· Andre Burakovsky scored his 12 th goal of the season and has goals (2g) in two-straight games and in three of his last four (3g).
· John Carlson recorded an assist, his 68th point (15g, 57a) of the season, which leads all NHL defensemen.
· Shane Gersich recorded the primary assist on Kempny’s goal to collect his first career NHL point. Gersich became the eighth rookie to record a point for the Capitals this season. The Capitals have also had six rookie record their first career point this season.
· Evgeny Kuznetsov recorded an assist, extending his single season high point total to 83 (27g, 56a). Kuznetsov has points in four-straight games (2g, 4a). Kuznetsov also led the team with 11 face-off wins.
· Brett Connolly recorded his 12 th assist of the season, his second-highest single season assist total (16, 2015-16 season).
· Chandler Stephenson recorded an assist, his 12 th assist of the season.
· Tom Wilson recorded an assist, his 21 st of the season, a new career high.
· Braden Holtby stopped 23 of 26 shots to improve to 34-16-4 on the season.
· Dmitry Orlov led the team in ice time (23:48).
· Jakub Jerabek led the team with four hits.
· Brooks Orpik led the team with three blocked shots.
· The Capitals have won eight of their last 10 games at Capital One Arena.
· Washington is 12-3-0 in their last 15 games.
· The Capitals finished the 2017-18 season with a record of 49-26-7 and first place in the Metropolitan Division, their third straight division title. No other team within the Metropolitan Division has won more than once since its inception in 2013.
· Washington finished the campaign with 105 points, their four straight season with at least 100 points. That marks the first time in franchise history the Capitals have earned at least 100 points in four consecutive seasons and seventh time in the last 10 campaigns, tying the Chicago Blackhawks (7) for most 100-point seasons since 2008-09.
· The Capitals finished with a record of 28-11-2 at home, tied for the fifth-most home wins this season.
· The Capitals are 108-74-13-15 all-time against the Devils and have earned appoint in 11 consecutive games (9-0-2).
· Tonight’s attendance was 18,506, the Capitals 404 th consecutive sellout at Capital One Arena.
Capitals Postgame Audio
New Jersey Devils Postgame Audio