Washington Capitals vs. Pittsburgh Penguins, Game 1
Postgame Notes and Audio
Capital One Arena | April 26, 2018
| Pittsburgh Penguins
| Washington Capitals
Game Summary | Event Summary | @CapitalsPR | CapsToday.com
· The Capitals will have a day off on Friday and will hold a conference call with head coach Barry Trotz at 9:30 a.m. The call-in information will be emailed to media. Washington will resume with an 10:30 a.m. practice at Kettler Capitals Iceplex on Saturday.
· Evgeny Kuznetsov scored the game’s opening goal, his fifth goal of the playoffs. Kuznetsov’s goal came 17 seconds into the game, two seconds shy of the fastest playoff goal in franchise history (Mike Gartner: 15 seconds, April 8, 1987 versus the New York Islanders).
· Alex Ovechkin scored the Capitals’ second goal, his sixth of the playoffs, which leads the team. That also marked Ovechkin’s 52 nd career playoff goal, the most in franchise history. Ovechkin also recorded an assist, marking his fourth of the playoffs and his 48 th in his career. That passed Dale Hunter (47) for the second-most assists in franchise history.
· Tom Wilson recorded two assists, his third multi-point playoff game in his career.
· Dmitry Orlov recorded an assist, his third of the playoffs.
· Braden Holtby stopped 22 of the 25 shots and suffered his first loss of the postseason (4-1).
· Jay Beagle led the team with 10 face-off wins on 13 draws (77 percent). Coming into the game, Beagle was second in the playoffs in face-off percentage among players with at least 40 draws (71.8 percent).
· Matt Niskanen led the team with three blocked shots.
· Devante Smith-Pelly led the team with seven hits.
· Tonight marked the Capitals’ first loss in their last five playoff games.
· Tonight ended a six-game playoff streak where the Capitals recorded at least three goals.
· Washington dropped to 18-11 all-time in Game 1s at home.
· The Capitals are 11-7 all-time when dropping the first game of the series.
· Tonight’s attendance was 18,506, the Capitals 408 th consecutive sellout at Capital One Arena.
Capitals Postgame Audio
Pittsburgh Penguins Postgame Audio